[LAU] [Music] Another, very short, prog instrumental

From: Q <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 16 2010 - 21:44:37 EET

So here I am once more...

Hello everyone. First of all, advance apologies to people awaiting the
Among other things, since that time I’ve been busy on a big project,
collaborating with a friend – that will make an appearance at some
point far in the future as there is much work still to do and work is
currently on hold.

To keep myself busy in the meantime, I decided to pick up an idea from
about 12 years ago, which was thrown together (it doesn’t deserve the
word written) on my old four-track with electric piano, bass, guitar and
the drum machine on a Hammond organ (so obviously not a proper Hammond,
sadly.

I’ve had vague ideas in the past few year about doing something with the
piece, but never got anywhere with it. I decided in December to try,
once and for all, to get somewhere with developing it and it seems that
in the past few months the time was right; the writing then turned into
recording and mixing and so, three months later, here we are. I’m not
even sure the original idea really deserved so much effort throwing at
it, but it’s been fun progging it up a bit and hopefully turning it into
something a little more interesting – it’s good to recycle :-)

It’s a short piece of instrumental symphonic progressive rock, the
opening section of what will be a longer piece – this part is finished
and I have a vague idea what the next section will be like, I just need
to put the work into writing and developing it. And after that, well,
who knows… but as always with me, don’t hold your breath.

I don’t think the mix could have been what it is without a few recently
discovered effects that came to be of critical importance (thanks to
Dave Phillips for the heads-up in LJ!), notably the EQ10Q and the Calf
and Invada compressors especially, without which some desired sounds
would have been impossible to achieve.

It’s turned into a bit of a monster really: if I counted correctly late
last night, the Ardour session has 50 active tracks and 28 busses, it
takes a good minute or so to load – even the mixing has become overblown
and pretentious, excellent! :-P It’s been an enjoyable pass-time and an
interesting and useful learning process though.

As always, general thanks to all Linux devs, but particular gratitude to
those involved with Ardour, Hydrogen, Linuxsampler, Wine and all the
LADSPA and LV2 plugins.

Full, geeky details of instrumentation and equipment etc are below for
anyone who might be interested.

I’ve done no post-processing/mastering beyond limiting to raise the
overall level a bit. I give you Beyond Triple Point (part 1):

FLAC (14.6 MB):
www.quirq.ukfsn.org/Quirq_Beyond-Triple-Point_Part1_16-03-10.flac

OGG-10 (7.4 MB):
www.quirq.ukfsn.org/Quirq_Beyond-Triple-Point_Part1_16-03-10.ogg

And much as it pains me... MP3 (6.2 MB):
www.quirq.ukfsn.org/Quirq_Beyond-Triple-Point_Part1_16-03-10.mp3

Anyway, I hope you might perhaps enjoy it, short as it is.

CAUTION! EXCESSIVE, SUPERFLUOUS & NERDY INFORMATION AHEAD
OS: Ubuntu Studio 9.10

Software: Ardour, Hydrogen, Linuxsampler (Jsampler with Fantasia
front-end), Cantabile Lite VST host running under Wine for B4 VST and
Oddity, all others run standalone.

Effects: EQ10Q has been used extensively as have the Invada and Calf
compressors. Also: SWH plugins; TAP Reverberator; C* plugins, mainly the
amp and cabinet sims; Matrix Spatialiser; some other effects from the
Calf suite.

Mics: SE Electronics SE2200A and AKG D3700 through a Focusrite Platinum
TwinTrak Pro (also used for DI) into an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96

Drums: Native Instruments Battery Studio Drums
Bass: Squier Vintage Modified Fretless Jazz Bass
Acoustic guitar: Freshman FA300 JEM
Acoustic 12-string guitar: Freshman FA1DC12
Lead guitar: Yamaha SA503 TVL
Rhythm guitar: Gibson Les Paul Studio
      FX: Behringer EM600 Echo Machine
Amplification: Marshall JCM2000 TSL601
Pianos: Sampletekk White Sister; White Grand
Mellotron – Cello, Mk II Violins, English Accordion: GForce M-Tron Pro
Leslie (Mellotron processing): Native Instruments B4 II VST
Hammond: Native Instruments B4 II
ARP Solina: GForce Virtual String Machine
Trumpets and horns: BOB Orchestral Brass
ARP Odyssey: GForce Oddity
Bells: PMI Anvils & Churchbells
Glockenspiel: oops, not sure... either PMI Orchestral Instruments or
Prosonus Orchestral Percussion