Re: [LAU] HDSP 9652+Win 7 == update flash - bye bye Linux audio & Alsa?

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 16 2010 - 21:53:46 EET

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Paul Davis <paul@linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 3:02 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Paul,
>>   I'd be happy to try to involve RME if there's some real chance that
>> a Linux developer will really work on the issues. I don't want to try
>> to pump them up and then not have anyone here to really look at it.
>> Are you the person that would do this work? You're so busy with Ardour
>> that for the good of the community you wouldn't be my first choice as
>
> I wasn't volunteering. But I do know that there are people who will
> make the (apparently) minor tweaks to the driver to make it operate
> with the new firmware (although its also very far from clear if any
> changes at all are necessary).
>
>> I think this is a smaller issue than Ardour. I know you have used RME
>> for years although I wasn't aware that you used an HDSP series card,
>> if you do.
>
> I do.
>
>> when I got around to trying to load audio drivers I went to the RME
>> web site and they stated very clearly that the Win 7 drivers require
>> the newest firmware. I don't blame them. It's probably good stuff, but
>> it looks like it will finally break compatibility with the 'old
>> firmware to make Alsa drivers work' construct.
>
> that's not clear to me from the material that you quoted. i dealt with
> several RME firmware upgrades in the past, and they were trivial to
> support. you need to understand that the "firmware" is not actually
> firmware at all. its just some data to be loaded into the matrix
> mixer.
>
> --p

I have just posted a couple of questions in the RME forums to try and
get some info.

To the best of my knowledge I was/am running firmware (or what ever we
want to call this stuff) version 104 prior to moving the card to the
new machine. It was my understanding that the Linux stuff didn't work
correctly or at all with anything above 104 or 105, and the Win XP
stuff didn't work correctly, but did work, with 104 so I think I
was/am running 104. Not sure yet. I Can go find the emails I'm sure if
there's any question as to why I'm doing this.

I just loaded the newest Win 7 driver and it did find the card. I need
to do a reboot which I cannot do until after the market closes in a
few minutes so I'll see if the current HDSP Win 7 mixer works.

Thanks for your interest and guidance.

Cheers,
Mark