Re: [LAU] CC for dummies

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 16 2010 - 23:27:08 EET

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 11:29:29AM +0100, Atte Andr? Jensen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I don't understand the CC license at all. I could dig through a jungle
> starting with google, and I *have* read and understood the basics
> regarding CC. I'm hoping for some personal experiences in plain
> language. Here goes:
>
> 1) What's the advantages for the artist with CC compared to "All rights
> reserved".
>
> 2) What's the disadvantages for the artist with CC compared to "All
> rights reserved".
>
> 3) What's the advantages for the consumer with CC compared to "All
> rights reserved".
>
> I assume there's no disadvantages for the customer with CC...
>
> Thanks in advance for any input.

It's pretty simple if you are already experienced with the GPL and BSD licenses. It's basically a series of free alternative licenses, modelled on those used in the FOSS world.

SA is basically a GPL. That's what I use for my stuff.
NC is just like it says, a non-commercial license, don't make money off of it.
The "attribution" licenses are basically like an old BSD license with the advertising clause.

-ken