Re: [LAU] perhaps why some of us have more trouble w/ pulseaudio than others (ICE1712/M-audio delta problem w/ pulseaudio)

From: Niels Mayer <nielsmayer@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 11 2010 - 23:06:12 EEST

> To clarify, I meant to ask if chips, other than ice1712 are affected.

From my recent research getting an ice1724 card working (Dynex dx-sc51 a
cheap 5.1 channel 1723 "Via Tremor" available in a zillion configurations
and boards -- the only reason I bother with this P.O.S. is that it has a
waveterminal header for my Yamaha DB60XG), I've learned this is an issue
that affects a lot of people and not only prosumer cards like the M-audio
Delta (ice1712) but also low-end and including built-in to motherboards and
media stations:

This particular card for example is documented as working with the following
( http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt):

  Module snd-ice1724

  ------------------

> Module for Envy24HT (VT/ICE1724), Envy24PT (VT1720) based PCI sound
> cards.

* MidiMan M Audio Revolution 5.1

* MidiMan M Audio Revolution 7.1

* MidiMan M Audio Audiophile 192

* AMP Ltd AUDIO2000

* TerraTec Aureon 5.1 Sky

* TerraTec Aureon 7.1 Space

* TerraTec Aureon 7.1 Universe

* TerraTec Phase 22

* TerraTec Phase 28

* AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1

* AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 LT

* AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 XT

* AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 HIFI

* AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 HD2

* AudioTrak Prodigy 192

* Pontis MS300

* Albatron K8X800 Pro II

* Chaintech ZNF3-150

* Chaintech ZNF3-250

* Chaintech 9CJS

* Chaintech AV-710

* Shuttle SN25P

* Onkyo SE-90PCI

* Onkyo SE-200PCI

* ESI Juli@

* ESI Maya44

* Hercules Fortissimo IV

* EGO-SYS WaveTerminal 192M

> model - Use the given board model, one of the following:

  revo51, revo71, amp2000, prodigy71, prodigy71lt,

  prodigy71xt, prodigy71hifi, prodigyhd2, prodigy192,

  juli, aureon51, aureon71, universe, ap192, k8x800,

  phase22, phase28, ms300, av710, se200pci, se90pci,

  fortissimo4, sn25p, WT192M, maya44

Unfortunately my $5.00 card
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Ice1724#Dynex_DX-SC51, though claimed to
be supported in ALSA isn't supported very well because there's no
special-case code telling how many DACs, how many MPU401 ports, etc:

> ICE1724 0000:01:07.0: PCI INT A -> Link[LNKB] -> GSI 19 (level, low) ->
IRQ 19
> ice1724: No matching model found for ID 0xc3140517
> ice1724: Invalid EEPROM version 1

Fortunately, when I play one of the Yamaha XG wunder-midi (
http://www.blueman.name/Creations_XG.php ) through this $5 Dynex -- really
just a glorified holder for my Yamaha db60xg --I hear shredding on my
headphones and I know all is well: "aplaymidi -p 40:0 vchile.mid" :-). Or as
I told my sister, "best damn $20.00 synthesizer I ever bought"... reply:
"twenty dollar synthesizer" that sounds like a good band-name!

With the above error message the Dynex comes up in a minimal 2-channel
mode... trying different similar model= configurations, jackd pukes all over
the place (sometimes locking up the machine trying to open 8 dacs when only
6 available etc)... I finally got SPDIF working, using 'plug' to keep it
from balking at source-material that isn't in the exact same S32_LE
bitformat needed by the card.

Checking the sourcecode to see what was up w/ it's total lack of 5.1-ness,
and also to decide which model= variants to try, I noted a giant unworkable
pain in the butt (this "1712" code also includes the 1724):
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=tree;f=sound/pci/ice1712

This results in all manner of problems and workaraounds for very minor
variants of essentially the same chip: http://envy24.svobodno.com/ (mine's
not on there boohoo).

Multichannel sound is a big problem, with the following as good proof:

Also a problem -- digital outs, both under ALSA and pulseaudio:
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/DigitalOut

I think it all needs to be solved, once and for all, across-the-board
without dividing into camps and pointing fingers.

-- Niels
http://nielsmayer.com