Re: [LAU] Sustain pedal issue with undesired repeated notes (m-audio keystation 88es + qjackctl + qsynth)

From: Nicolas BERCHER <nbercher@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 08 2010 - 12:55:01 EEST

On 08.06.2010 11:12, david wrote:
> Nicolas BERCHER wrote:

>>> For none of the above (my preference): aseqdump :-)
>>>
>>> -ken
>>>
>> Thank you for answers.
>> Yes, I also prefer command line tools! ;-)
>> So, I checked what's going on:
>> $ aseqdump --list
>> Port Client name Port name
>> 0:0 System Timer
>> 0:1 System Announce
>> 14:0 Midi Through Midi Through Port-0
>> 20:0 SB Live! Value [CT4870] EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)
>> 24:0 USB Keystation 88es USB Keystation 88es MIDI 1
>> $ aseqdump -p 24:0
>> Waiting for data. Press Ctrl+C to end.
>> Source_ Event_________________ Ch _Data__
>> 24:0 Control change 0 64 127
>> 24:0 Note on 0 82 82
>> 24:0 Note on 0 82 0
>> 24:0 Control change 0 64 0
>>
>> The above sequence dumped by aseqdump shows only one note event
>> (lines 2+3: press+release) but I heard a delayed note as mentioned in
>> my first mail.
>> The keyboard seems to do things right, so I think it comes from qsynth.
>> Isn't that strange? I mean many people around there use qsynth, am I
>> the only one to have this kind of problem?
>
> Hmm, have never had QSynth repeat a note unless I actually repeated a
> note. Interesting. I don't know the innards of MIDI events, so don't
> know what the various numbers above mean.
>
> WAGging around: Is your USB MIDI connection sharing a USB bus with
> other USB devices? Maybe some other USB device is doing something
> weird with the bus and something isn't getting handled right?

# lsusb
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0763:0192 Midiman M-Audio Keystation 88es
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 413c:2003 Dell Computer Corp. Keyboard
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0461:4d15 Primax Electronics, Ltd Dell Optical Mouse
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:0103 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. USB 2.0
Card Reader

I guess you're right: I have 2 USB buses (one onboard (2nd) and one in
front (1st), inside a memory cards reader) and the midi keyboard shares
the 2nd bus with mouse and azerty keyboard...
I noticed there's no way to plug an usb device on the 1st bus: it only
cares about memory cards.
So I unplugged both mouse & azerty keyboard but it doesn't change anything.

Do you think this problem could come from an hardware failure into my SB
Live sound card?

Nicolas.