[LAU] OT: Microphone choice for pipe organ

From: Jonathan Gazeley <jonathan.gazeley@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 14 2010 - 00:40:34 EEST

Hi all,

In the past I've recorded a church choir and organ, using a pair of
small condensers[1] in an X-Y layout for the choir, and a single
large-diaphragm condenser[2] for the pipe organ (which is at the other
end of the church).

The large condenser copes extremely well with the organ, and it sounds
great when the choir and the organ play together, but during the solo
organ parts, the organ sounds a bit "mono".

Today, I recorded again but used two inexpensive dynamic microphones[3]
in an X-Y pair for the organ. I was pleasantly surprised by the general
recording quality and sound colour of the dynamic mics - I thought they
wouldn't stand up against the much more expensive condenser. It also
sounds good in stereo - although these cheap mics have a fairly loud
background hiss. What can you expect from a 3-pack for £25?

So, is anyone able to recommend good quality but inexpensive dynamic
mics that can cope with the loud SPL of a pipe organ at ten feet, have a
low background noise, and don't mind being at the end of a 20m XLR cable?

Another choice might be for me to buy another pair of C-2s (which are
excellent), although I'm not sure how well they will cope with the low
frequencies of a pipe organ (as low as 15Hz).

I could also try a pair of large-diaphragm condensers, such as the
Behringer C-1 [4]. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Jonathan

[1] Behringer C-2 http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/C-2.aspx