Re: [LAU] ASCAP Assails Free-Culture, Digital-Rights Groups

From: Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 01 2010 - 16:09:33 EEST

Hey guys!

And while I am preparing my answer to some very excellent points made here
(some of which made me rethink several particular situations), I want to
give you some food for discussion - do we really want more professionals in
the field of arts? Is it an unquestionable good that musicians make a living
out of music?

Or, more obviously, writers? What would a writer have to say if all he sees
is his writing desk? So many creative people, both musicians and writers,
changed many professions, received lots and lots of life experience before
they started to seriously create stuff, reflecting on their experiences.

But so far the law assumes that if someone makes a living off of his
creativity, it will necessarily make him more fruitful. But I've seen
several cases when the effect was the opposite. And that was actually in the
field of music, when a musician would loose his originality and touch once
he got a contract and started to pump out professional cds. Something did
not work out.

Also, when the professional scene is not so dominating, people tend to be
more musically educated. And in general more people know how to sing and/or
play an instrument. It is actually a statistical fact that folk music has
deteriorated with the rise of professional music and that the active
involvement of people into music has decreased very significantly, since it
became uncommon to compete with highly trained professionals. A lot of music
today is passive entertainment, not active. This does have an indirect
connection to copyright, since songs written yesterday were written for
everybody to sing (even if they take money for the performance). Nowadays
songs are written to be listened.

Louigi.