Re: [LAU] irq sharing

From: David Santamauro <david.santamauro@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 25 2010 - 14:31:37 EEST

Hi Fabrizio!

Thank you for the note informing me I am not alone. It is almost a
relief (almost). But I can't believe you and I are the only ones.

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 12:59:22 +0200
Fabrizio Sciarra <fsciarra62@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> David, I don't see this message on the list, so I send it directly to
> you too... I hope you don't get upset for this intrusion in your
> privacy... Let me know if I've hurted you in any way for this... In
> case I beg your pardon.

Absolutely no intrusion and no offense taken at all.

> Dear David,
> I'm here just to confirm you I've more or less the same problem with
> my delta1010 card.
> I have a very nice *electronic* zipper noise any time I activate an
> input. I mean if I use the card as a "sound card" and use only
> outputs I have no noise at all, and isn't related to sampling rate,
> word width, buffer size or other jackd parameters.
> I can fire as many synths, filters or anything with no noise: as soon
> as I connect one input to one output.... zzzzzzzz....

same here ... jkmeter (and the new mudita24) show the zzzzzz dancing
around the -30db mark

> I noticed the card, in my previous install slackware64 13.0, was
> sharing the interrupt with the sata controller in AHCI mode.
> Disabling AHCI in the BIOS banged the noise (actually that caused the
> irq wasn't shared anymore with the disk controller).
> Now, slackware64 13.1, I've noise back.

Interesting that a new OS would cause that ... has the AHCI setting
changed back or is it still disabled?

> I guess it's a mixed problem, drivers *and* interrupts. Or whatever...
> it's a disaster...

certainly is a disaster. My theory is the problem is the 64-bit ice1712
module.

> Currently I didn't solve the problem but now I see another user has
> the same problem as I do.
> Ah, I forgot to tell that in the previous computer, actually with a 32
> bit install (was a Pentium4, this is a i7 fantacomputer), I didn't had
> any noise at all, never, ever...

yes, I also confirmed in 32-bit fedora that everything is fine.

> I could try to install a 32bit slackware 13.1... I'll tell you if it
> makes any change...
> Please if you find any interesting information post it, even
> privately... THANKS!

I imagine it would, but do keep me informed!

thanks

David