Re: [LAU] [LAD] Some new things to play with

From: drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 12 2010 - 23:49:59 EEST

On Tuesday 12 October 2010 15:52:19 fons@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 04:42:10PM +0200, torbenh wrote:
> > pretty adhoque jack session support for zita-rev1 is in this git:
> > git://hochstrom.endofinternet.org/zita-rev1.git
>
> * I spend considerable time making sure that the code I release
> actually works. That means listening and measuring, apart from
> any normal software testing routines.
>
> * This release does not work properly. When reloading a session
> the GUI state is restored but the DSP parameters are not. There
> are other problems as well.
>
> * The net result is that within 48 hours of the original release
> a version is made public that fails to do what it claims, and
> since there is no indication to the contrary anywhere in the
> source code, suggests that I am the one to blame.
>
> If this sort of thing is repeated, I will just stop releasing any
> software at all. And of course this modified version does not have
> my blessing, and I will not support it.

Does the software world need a better way to handle this reputation issue?
(The rest of the world in general as well perhaps?) Is there any way to build
a signed binary where this can be checked from within the binary itself?
Perhaps stick the signature at the end of the binary and have the signing
routine check all but the area that holds the signature? (Not well thought
out, just an off the cuff idea.)

> Ciao,

all the best,

drew