Re: [LAU] wanted:audio player

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 17 2010 - 16:53:22 EEST

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 03:11:03PM +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:

> For checking the results I would say an external cd-player is better.
> Otherwise you probably only know that the drive that burnt them is able to
> read them:-)

True, but usually a real player is not available, and in most
cases I'd have two PCs available.

> Other than that: mplayer does what you want, it plays
> mp3/ogg/flac/wav/you_name_it, cdda and also does multichannel.

For CD playing it's bit too spartan to my taste.

> I successfully
> used it to play ambisonics files within jack. While it normally does auto-
> connect to the first hardware-outputs, it can be told to connect to any other
> jack-client or to none at all...

The way mplayer selects the ports to connect to is the
most useless I've ever seen.

It will connect to the first N ports that match a pattern.
The order depends on how jack lists them, and that is
undefined. The chances that you get the 16 channels of
a 3rd-order file connected correctly are virtually zero.

Manual connection is an option of course, to be repeated
for each file (if you play multiple files with the same
command it will 'reconnect' between them.

Since the part I'm missing most is playing CDs it looks
like I'll just add that to my own jack player, or write
a separate one. Looking at the alsaplayer code it seems
simple enough.

Ciao,

--
FA