Re: [LAU] Which SATA drive? Size? [Was: Re: partition table]

From: Jouni Rinne <l33tmmx@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 25 2010 - 01:09:20 EET

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 19:00:06 +0100
Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@folkwang-hochschule.de> wrote:

> On 12/24/2010 05:56 PM, Jouni Rinne wrote:
> >
> > Where the mentioned firmware can be found? I found nothing with a quick search on the WD website. (Unfortunately I bought one of those 'Green' drives just recently)
>
> if you can, return it as defective. unfortunately, it wasn't an option
> for me, because i had already spent several hours fine-tuning a server
> system on them before i looked at smartctl for the first time...
>
> if you can't, it's somewhere on the wd site in an obscure place, and
> there's at least one third-party hoster that provides a binary that
> claims to be this tool - it might be safe, but buyer beware.
>
> if you can't find it, write to me off-list after christmas, maybe i can
> still dig up the stick and send it to you, but i'm travelling atm and
> don't have access to it.
>
> best,
>
> jörn

Okay, found the correct download place via a forum:
http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=609&sid=113&lang=en .
According to the same forum it should also apply to the 2TB WD20EADS
drive I have. Until now, WD drives have been super-reliable for me, the
only make I've got no trouble with, but this head parking stuff is
insane... Now I should decide whether I 1) return the drive (the data
I have in there *should* still fit on my other drives) and replace it
with a Seagate or 2) try to fix the firmware.
Thanks for hints and help, and merry Xmas!

JR