Re: [LAU] Batch normalising wav files

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 25 2010 - 01:39:12 EET

Hi,

On Friday 24 December 2010 14:53:44 Q wrote:
> I'm wanting to batch process a bunch of wav files, normalising them all
> to -0.3 dBFS.
>
> I thought I could do this with normalize/normalize-audio, but it doesn't
> look to be possible. The man page suggests that simply analysing the
> file and raising the level so the loudest peak is 0 dBFS isn't
> normalising, which is news to me:
>
> " --peak
> Adjust using peak levels instead of RMS levels. Each file will be
> adjusted so that its maximum sample is at full scale. This just gives a
> file the maximum volume possible without clipping; no normalization is
> done."

That statement there is bullshit. Scanning a wave-file for maximum absolute
sample and then scaling that to make the file fit into [-1:1] with the abssolute
of the maximum sample at 1 _is_ normalization. That is the very definition of
normalization.

> That would be okay, except I want them normalising to something other
> than full scale.

Given the fact that [-1:1] is just an arbitrary setting, there is no problem
with normalizing/scaling to [-0.9:0.9] or within the range of -3dB instead of
0dB...

> Is there a quick and easy way to do this?

I seem to recall that normalize-audio can actually do this. Otherwise have a
look at the fine tools contained in libsoundfile.

Have fun and a merry Christmas,

Arnold