Re: [LAU] rt kernel in debian/squeeze

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 08 2011 - 16:55:29 EET

On 01/08/2011 03:16 PM, Bernardo Barros wrote:
> ondemand is no good because when it switches the processor actually
> stops for a very short time. but this short drops are enough to cause
> the terrible xruns on jack. stick to performance or conservative :-)

I'm tempted to call BS.

I can't find a reference or link but IIRC the "short time" a processor
stalls when changing frequency is these days in the usec range.

Anyway, discard all theory. It works empirically:
There are no problems here with JACK at 32*2 fpp @48kHz with the
ondemand govenour on both Intel Core Duo, Intel Core 2 Duo and Intel i5
CPUs (yes, that is going from nought to 16 jconvolvers causing CPU and
JACK load to jump).

It really depends on your system (CPU, mainboard, BIOS settings) but
the ondemand gov works/ed fine on the Indamixx-1 release (Atom CPU,
128x2 @ 44.1kHz default) and many others are using it successfully: see
test-reports on JACK CPU-freq scaling on the JACK-devel list in December
2010 and the "Balance between performance and noise" recently thread on
this list.

2c,
robin