Re: [LAU] interview with Dave Smith -- OT about oscillators

From: Q <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 16 2011 - 20:57:01 EET

robert lazarski wrote:
> I don't participate on KVR but I do on gearslutz, where I get enough
> flaming so no worries :-). I've never demoed DSI gear personally -
> there are no distributors for that in Brazil. Some say it sounds cold
> but I personally can only go by the demos. My only Moog gear is the
> moogerfoogers phaser, delay and midi murf. I do have a Future Retro XS
> and a Analogue Solutions Red Square - both semi-modulars that have
> VCO's and detune easily. And I certainly don't claim to be an expert
> in subtractive synthesis.
>
> IMHO there is nothing wrong with DSI gear, its just that if I'm going
> thru the hassle and expense of analogue, I want the entire chain to be
> analogue and I'll pay extra for it. Since the sound chain starts at
> the oscillator, I want it to be analogue because imho that's the most
> important part of a synth's sound. I've got VA's like the TI2 virus
> for digital. Where DCO's can make sense though is poly analogue - add
> about USD $4K to the prophet 08 price for an similar alternative
> (stock SE CODE) with VCO's.
>
> As for analogue drums, my jomox 999 is something I'll never part with
> - it sounds that good. I've yet to hear a beefy kick like that from
> the Tempest demos, but its not even released yet so we'll see. The
> analogue Roland tr-* machines from the 80's still dominate along with
> new players Jomox and Vermona, so in the end the Tempest is going to
> have to sound damn good in that competition to warrant USD $2K - more
> than any other current DSI product. And it might, time will tell.

Yeah, I think I might have seen VCO vs DCO flamewars on Gearslutz as
well, but that's not a place I visit regularly.

I'm sure you're aware of this, but I'd like to add for the purposes of
anyone else reading, or anyone who ever stumbles across archives of
these messages...

...I'm with you about analogue oscillators, I wanted analogue synths and
that's why I bought a Mopho keyboard, because they're so inexpensive and
they have ANALOGUE oscillators. Okay, so they're controlled digitally
rather than by analogue control voltages, but they and everything else
in the signal path is analogue. Of course, the LFOs and EGs are digital,
but that's a different matter. I think the LFOs and EGs in the Moog
Little Phatty are probably analogue, which is why it's more expensive
and way less flexible than the Mopho.

A musical collaborator: "Lethargy, hm really? Then it will be time for
me to get over there and just accidental idea the $h!t out of you"