Re: [LAU] [LAD] OpenOctaveMidi2 (OOM2) beta release

From: Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 28 2011 - 00:30:56 EET

Am 27.01.2011 22:51, schrieb Alexandre Prokoudine:
> On 1/27/11, Christopher Cherrett wrote:
>
>> We are not like Ardour asking for money all the time.
>
> So much for groin-level kicks. You were approached in a civilized way.
> Paying back with something like this is really low style.
>
>> I suspect there is much more to this puzzle than attribution. I suspect
>> we rocked the boat just a bit too much and too fast.
>
> No, really not. Atrribution is very important. The whole DVCS thing
> immensively helped there. Being able to be *automagically* quoted in
> the log as developer made a lot of difference, and social coding
> (Github, BitBucket etc.) made a lot of difference too, because it's
> all about attribution (as well as being easy to fork, improve and send
> merge request).
>
> Yep, I personally knew that OOM2 was based on MusE2 even before
> compiling and running,

The casual informed Linux Audio user will find out, as soon as he/she
opens Settings/MIDI Connections and Synths in the Menu.

DeicsOnce, Simpledrums etc -- all the stuff known to be MUSE-specific.

As I saw the screenshots I thought "Interesting, looks like a mix of
Ardour 0.9x and Muse." Now, that I see it running, the ancestor is plain
to see.

@oom-people
So I guess, most people will notice that and many will ask themselfs:
"Why do these people use to talk about their own hard work and do not
care to mention the work of the Muse-people?"

Some will think, because you *are* the Muse-people actually. Maybe some
newbies may find your app first and Muse later and maybe they will write
in forums, that Muse is just a ripoff of OOMidi. Just because most
people in the free software-culture are not prepared for habits like
this. They do not expect talented free coders of big applications to
take advantage of the work of others without even mentioning these others.
Call it naive -- many people come to the world of GNU because they
think, it is a culture of undisputed respect, courtesy and decency. They
flee from a culture of selfishness.

A free license allows you to take advantage of the work of others
without any economical constrains. You do not need to pay, you do not
even need to ask.
Right so! But if the giver is freindly enough to give that way, the
taker should be ready to return the due respect.

If you would have answered to Pauls post saying something like "Yeah, we
will add a line to our website thanking Werner and the others -- we just
forgot to do, we were too much into coding the last weeks etc etc "

I think most people would have said, Ok, forget about that glitch.

But now you actually claim the right to neglect courtesy and respect.
The most prudent thing I read from you in this discussion was "We need
some sleep."
Absolutely! Have a nap and think about the issue again...

best regards

HZN