Re: [LAU] Linux programs for creatiing/manipulating sound effects

From: Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 08 2011 - 14:50:41 EET

Am 08.02.2011 09:15, schrieb david:
> Hartmut Noack wrote:

>>> Audacity is import audio file, apply effect, save project (optional),
>>> export in chosen format. It never replaces the original file.
>>
>> So there is a major dfference between audiofiles, you have imported
>> and audiofiles, you have recorded with audacity -- correct?
>
> No, I never have. I usually use JACK, and have never been able to make
> Audacity work with JACK. I've only done the following things with Audacity:
>
> 1. Import 16 tracks of 32-bit WAV files (recorded on another machine
> from my church band's Firewire interface using some Windows software)
> and do basic mixing.
>
> 2. Trim and cleanup voice audio recordings made on my PDA.
>
> 3. Trim and convert wave files recorded using jack_capture.
>
> 4. Pitch shift prerecorded MP3s if needed for band members who play
> solely by ear (if the recording's in Eb and we're playing it in D,
> they're lost).
>
> If you have the time and brains needed to learn Ardour, go for it!

I think it is a myth, that Ardour is too complicated to learn for a
beginner.

The Interface may look somewhat intimidating at first glance but with
some basic rules in mind it is not too hard to be handeled.

1.) learn to ignore, what you cannot understand at first sight. about
99% of the default-settings are sane and usefull and if you need to
change something, you will find out how as soon as you need it.

2.) understand the interaction between the tracks in the editor and the
mixer. Tracks are sources, the mixer is manipulation both are connected
by a signalflow that is setup by Ardour automagically. In the beginning
you will not need to change anything in the routing later you will
seldom need to change some details.

With this in mind you can start using Ardour like this:

1.) start Jack
2.) start Ardour, type a name for your project and click OK
3.) rightklick under the master-track and choose "import audio" or
drag/drop WAV-files from a GTK-Filemanager like Nautilus.
4.) Hit Space an hear your files play.

Next step would be to insert some plugins in your tracks and start
fiddeling with them.

All the advanced stuff like set up recording from internal jack-clients,
automatisation of faders and plugins, special mouse-modes or usage of
the things in the right-click menues can be learned step by step after that.

I really believe that an absolute beginner who does not allow
him/herself to be intimidated by all the advanced features can begin to
use Ardour with fun and good results within 1 h after starting such a
program for the first time.

best regards

HZN