Re: [LAU] M-Audio Fast Track Ultra

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 19 2011 - 23:26:18 EET

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 11:22:26AM +0100, Ketil Thorgersen wrote:
> Den 19. feb. 2011 04:58, skrev Chip VanDan:
>> In a complete and utter fervor today with some newfound extra cash I
>> impulsively purchased an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra, with the hopes and
>> prayers that it would "just work" on my Ubuntu Studio 10.04 system.
>> My confidence was quickly shattered when I got it home, plugged it in,
>> and did some research on it. There is a multitude of links out there
>> with people that have had problems with it in Linux, and a few have
>> gotten it to work, but I have no idea how.
>>
>> For reference sake, I'm having the exact same problem as referenced on
>> this forum: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=884329
>> but I don't really understand the directions on how they fixed the issue.
> HI
>
> I have one of the fast track ultra pros, and made it work on KxStudio by
> updating to the 2.6.38 lowlatency kernel in Aboganis ppa
> https://launchpad.net/~abogani/+archive/ppa/?field.series_filter=natty

I've been using a FT Pro for 4 years now. I don't recall having to do anything special to get it to work, where "work" == 2 audio in, 2 audio out, at 44.1Khz.

You might want to try just basic stereo, USB1.1 mode, 44.1kHz, and see how that goes. If ALSA can see it, then JACK can be made to see it. What does your /proc/asound/cards , and the /proc/asound/cardX/codecX say?

There were all kinds of modprobe variables (and driver patches) required to get it to work at higher bitrates, but I didn't waste too much time trying to get those going. 44.1K is fine, and stereo is fine too. Works great.

As for the 2 extra RCA jacks on the Pro, there is no way to get them to work as additional JACK ports without some userspace hacks involving resampling and syncing two separate audio interfaces together. They show up as separate ALSA interfaces with a separate word clock.

-ken