Re: [LAU] Stutter effect for linux

From: jordan <triplesquarednine@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 25 2011 - 01:11:38 EET

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 5:14 PM, Steiny <eric.steinberg@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> i really prefer tapeutape over specimen/linuxsampler/terminatorx/sooperlooper, due to its lack of visual cruft. has anyone used ecasound as a midi or osc controlled sampler?

??!??!

sooperlooper isn't the same type of sampling application as tapeutape
or specimen, at all.

Tapeutape/specimen (and linuxsampler) are samplers that map samples to
keys/midi, and can be maniputed in several ways. While Sooperlooper
does sample, as the name implies it is a looper, not a traditional
sampler - they are very dis-similar, and can't even realistically be
compared, they are different tools for different jobs.

As well, I really like tapeutape's interface, it is very straight
forward and simple to use.
However, i use Specimen because it is more powerful - having LFO's,
pitch contol (realtime), envelopes, and filters on a "per sample
basis" is extremely useful.

then let's not forget the velocity tab that allows you to specify all
of the above listed parameters to be controlled based on the velocity
of each note. for example; i can have a snare that when played softly
has a low cuf-off frequency (filter), but as i strike the snare harder
- the sound will get sharper (higher-frequency). For me, this adds so
much life to my sample banks and allows my sounds to be much more
dynamic.

one thing missing though is tapeUtape's feature that allows to specify
multiple samples based on velocity. but it's a trade-off. But when the
next version of tapeutape is out - i'll be checking it out, for sure.

as for ecasound, and terminatorX (haven't used them...yet)

jordan