Re: [LAU] Laid to rest is Pro Tools LE"...

From: Renato <rennabh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 04 2011 - 21:03:17 EET

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 13:24:52 -0500
Thomas Vecchione <seablaede@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Here is the thing, Time IS Money. One way or another, time invested
> in systems and software means time not spent making money, or even
> money spent learning these things. This ties directly into my next
> response which I will cover in a moment...

I'm sorry, but saying that time spent reading a book or whatever is
money because in that time you could have made money is really twisted
reasoning IMHO. You could just as well say time is muffins (it's
allmost dinner time here ;))

> However to go off on a tangent, I am going to pick on your response,
> which I see as more of a knee-jerk response than anything. Are you
> really saying what you typed, they you would RATHER have to manually
> set up everything about your system, rather than have it set up
> correctly and be able to infinetely tweak, but only if you want to?

I didn't say that. Of course a base level of user friendliness is
welcome, I would never bother with LFS, but here we were talking about
no need to use a terminal, which is a way way way higher level of user
friendliness.

> In your case, and in
> most cases, I suspect it isn't "I don't want a user friendly system"
> as much as "I don't want a system that limits my choice in favor of
> user friendliness", which is something very different.

yes, you're right, user friendliness isn't evil and I don't actually
dislike it, I just don't want it to get in my way. But again I never
said "I don't want a user friendly system".

I really think that yours was a knee-jerk response, you labeled me as
the hardcore-terminal-only guy and went with that, without actually
thinking of what I had written.

> What does the community gain by this? Acceptance, if that. In truth
> it is a question of how much that is worth to you. To some people it
> is worth more, as it means admittance that Linux Audio has reached a
> certain point, that it has at least that much quality to it.
>
> But some people want to evangelize that there IS choice out there,
> and that by itself is enough of a gain for many people.

Ok, that sounds as a reasonable answer. Coming to think of it again, a
wider user-base does indeed have its benefits, and actually that may be
the reason why open source software evolved so much. We all gained a
little from the success of Ubuntu, even if we don't use it/like it.
And after all there's choice and no one forces me to use bloated DEs,
which I don't btw.

cheers
renato