Re: [LAU] Laid to rest is Pro Tools LE"...

From: Kim Cascone <kim@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 04 2011 - 21:17:16 EET

On 03/04/2011 11:03 AM, Renato wrote:
> Ok, that sounds as a reasonable answer. Coming to think of it again, a
> wider user-base does indeed have its benefits, and actually that may be
> the reason why open source software evolved so much. We all gained a
> little from the success of Ubuntu, even if we don't use it/like it.
> And after all there's choice and no one forces me to use bloated DEs,
> which I don't btw.
exactly! I'll be the first to admit that there is a downside to having a
wider user base and that is the apps can become dumbed-down push-button
production engines which increasingly require less and less imagination
on the part of the user.

but Linux audio, and I'll use Ardour as an good example, allows one to
get under the hood if one so wishes
I saw a demo of the CLAM software where many parameters of Ardour
playback were scripted
I sat spellbound by the sheer power this allows audio researchers and
computer music composers who want to diffuse their work in interesting ways
but take Ardour and put it in a pro recording studio environment and the
expectations suddenly shift...in this environment time *is* measured in
dollars/euros per hour and the clock is watched closely by both client
and engineer
there is no time to waste when the client is recording a guitar solo and
suddenly tech problems arise...the engineer has to solve the problem in
nano-seconds or lose the trust of and possibly the client herself
Mixbus/Ardour can press fit into either situation magnificently and this
is the power of Linux audio
if someone wants to twiddle around, script, optimize, experiment, make
new UI skins off the clock they can
(try this with Pro Tools or Logic!)
but many people can trust Ardour/Mixbus because it is being marketed to
a PRO market by Harrison
Harrison knows full well what engineers expect from a product and would
not put their name on something that was buggy, half formed, makes sense
only to the dev, geek-ware which required command line pampering in
order to solve problems
over and out,
kc