Re: [LAU] Something different

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 15 2011 - 22:16:59 EET

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 11:36:41 +0100 (CET)
Cedric Roux <sed@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> ----- "Folderol" <folderol@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > the same time playing a click track in a loop for timing. All the
> > synth parts
> > are my own voice patches in one instance of Yoshimi.
>
> what do you mean here? "own voice patches?" You recorded the sound
> of your voice and derived midi instruments of that raw material?
> (sorry, probably dumb question, maybe you won't even understand it)

Nono :)
Yoshimi is a softsynth and like most softsynths the sound 'packages' are usually
referred to as voice patches - this stems from the early analog synth days when
sound generators, effects etc. were linked together with real audio patch
cables.

> > cutting the lower frequencies that the mic tended to boost
>
> you can speak at a bigger distance from the mic, like 10cm and more.
> I also used to sing very close to the mic but with some distance, the
> raw sound is much better. You get rid of the "proximity effect" and
> need less EQ later on. Well, my 2c. I'm not an audio recording engineer.

Unfortunately this is not an option. I live in a rather noisy environment with
little prospect of improving the situation so use a close-mic approach to get a
decent signal-noise ratio.

> Do you play with a keyboard? I mean a MIDI piano keyboard.
> I ask because what you, and others on the list, do with a linux box
> is impressive. And I wonder why I can't do the same. Maybe input
> tools I sometimes think. Tools matter a lot. Or maybe it's just
> talent. :-)

Yes. I have two MIDI keyboards, and very occasionally use them together but
more often use just the lower one which has a nicer action.

It takes time to get things organised just the way you want them. I started out
in 1990 with just a Yamaha SY22 keyboard, and developed from there. The first
thing was getting a computer based sequencer so I could make multi-part
compositions. Then I added a Roland Sound Canvas to get more (and better
quality) sounds. About 10 years ago I got into using softsynths as well, and
slowly integrating it all.

I've found it makes a lot of difference if you have a room where you can keep
everything permanently set up so you just switch it on and go!

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk