Re: [LAU] [Ardour] Offline export with OSC

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 10 2011 - 18:30:24 EEST

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Joe Hartley <jh@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 May 2011 10:51:26 -0400
> Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> the data path during export is EXACTLY the same as during normal
>> playback except for the conversion to an integer format. since
>> metering occurs before this, the data the metering displays is
>> IDENTICAL to the data that would be seen during normal playback.
>
> It would seem to me that if the meters are checking their inputs
> n times per second, then if an export is occurring and is running say
> 3 times faster than real time, there is the possibility that a peak
> could happen at a moment that the input isn't being checked, and thus
> the peak levels could be reported differently during export than in
> real time.  I wouldn't expect to see a huge difference in the reported
> values, but I can see how this would happen.
>
> Does this make any sense, or have I misunderstood how the meters
> get their values?

well, the numerical values should match because the actual "peak"
values are based on all data since the last meter update. but its
definitely true that the "graphical" part of the meters could be
different for precisely the reason you mention on the other hand, if
there *is* a difference, its mostly likely to be an error with
metering and not with any difference in the data generated for export.