Re: [LAU] Is this the band Sky? Was: Text-based sound visualisation? Re: Linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 52, Issue 32

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri Jun 24 2011 - 08:26:38 EEST

On Thu, 2011-06-23 at 17:38 -0700, Ken Restivo wrote:
> > Pop is ok, classic is ok, but any kind of cross over until now IMO
> > failed.
> >

> Um, really?
>
> What about prog-rock?
>
> -ken

Hi Ken :)

It depends to the kind of prog-rock, if it's my taste or not. Prog-rock
isn't always a fusion of pop and classic. I don't like musicians playing
scales up and down as fast as possible, switching between several
asymmetrical metre by one song etc., as long as this doesn't communicate
a content. This kind of physical art has nothing to do with mood or
communicating a story or even unbridled fun for the dance floor, what
IMO is the essence of music. There's prog-rock I like, but I don't like
Dream Theater and such mainstream. I prefer music like even mainstream
avant-garde such as Naked City,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4C9nPV0zgA&feature=related , which is
self-ironic fun without a Dream Theater appeal "Listen everybody, I know
how to play the music instrument, but I've no message, no emotions to
communicate".
But this is just my taste, everybody is free to play and listen to the
music that moves emotionally her/his nature. I only wonder why here
isn't richness when listen to the radio or television. Usually there's
heavy rotation for a hand full of bands, such as Dream Theater. For me
it even would be boring to listen to the same bands and songs again and
again, even if it's my taste.

Regarding to fusion of classical music and pop I wonder why there's the
need to add a snare on two and four to a classical composition. If I
like to clap and sway to and fro to music, I would listen to German
volkstümelnde Musik, that shouldn't be confused with German Volksmusik.

But writing about music should be like dancing about architecture, said
similar by Laurie Anderson. I don't like to write too much about music.
Sometimes, regarding to the context it's ok, e.g. now, anyway, Julien
just is searching the name of a band, playing music that isn't my taste.

It's good that there are all kinds of music and we don't need to love
every kind of music. I wonder about people who hate people listening to
some kind of music, e.g. Gohics hating HipHop folks, I guess they don't
love music, but just being part of a group.

But yes, I hate some kind of music and some kind of musicians who are
too much businessmen, but there's nothing bad with having success,
'mainstream' isn't a cuss per se.

Regards,

Ralf