Re: [LAU] NoiseMaker LV2 port

From: Jeremy Jongepier <autostatic@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 13 2011 - 12:27:27 EEST

On 10/13/2011 10:38 AM, allcoms wrote:
> TAL NoiseMaker, IMHO, is the best sounding, most fully featured and has the
> best UI out of all the GPL softsynths - the problems being:
>
> * Its not 100% free software yet as it depends on the VST SDK to be compiled
>
> * The current Linux version either disconnects from JACK or just produces no
> sound for a number of its presets

Hello allcoms,

You mean the the standalone version? The LinuxVST plug-in works well
here (compiled from the Distrho source tarball) with Qtractor 0.5.1
(compiled with the Steinberg VST headers).

> * I've been unable to get the Linux build to operate at any higher than
> 48Khz although it should work at 96Khz+ according to the author
>
> I thought it time to check on here to see if anyone was thinking about or
> has already started on porting NoiseMaker to LV2? It would be a superb boost
> to LV2 and Linux Audio in general and would allow NoiseMaker to enter the
> repositories of the popular distros.

The guy(s) @ Distrho is/are working on an LV2 wrapper thingy. But that's
something else than a port of course. Well, just FYI ;)

> I never heard back from Vember Audio re a lxvst port of Shortcircuit nor has
> Kunitoki replied to me re getting HighLife lxvst to work so as it stands
> Highlife is x86 32bit only ie if you can't get the plugin on the DiscoDSP
> download page to work you're SOL right now.

64bit does work but not with all samples, you get those weird Wav chunk
errors. And even if they load it doesn't make any sound. But you're not
SOL if the 32bit plug-in from DiscoDSP doesn't work, you can compile it
yourself and maybe it will work then.

  On top of that petri-foo dev has
> been put on hold but that doesn't fulfil my requirements anyway as its not
> an LV2. As a result I have been left with no other option than to look into
> coding a simple LV2 sampler myself although this is currently at early
> planning stages and means I finally have to bite the bullet and finally
> actually learn the unlearnable monstrosity that is C++!

Did you check the Composite LV2 plug-in? Haven't looked at it in a long
time so no idea where it's at right now. And FluidSynth is no option
either? Swami is quite easy for creating you're own soundfonts and by
now the Calf LV2 FluidSynth plug-in should work ok at different sample
rates (haven't checked that one in a long time either).

> Before anyone pipes up - linuxsampler is NOT an option. LS and I have never
> seen eye to eye nor have I ever got it working properly anyway. Its just a
> complicated mess that won't load a simple wav.
>
> Wish me luck!

I will, I'd really like a good working simple sampler plug-in too.

Best,

Jeremy