Re: [LAU] Looking for Audio Watermarking Advice & Tools OFFLIST

From: Simon Wise <simonzwise@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 24 2011 - 07:42:32 EEST

On 24/10/11 04:54, Nick Copeland wrote:

>> My end goal is to insert content into an audio file to identify me as
>
>> the creator and identify which parts of the Creative Commons license
>> apply to its release. What term should I use to name that?
>

> Paranoia?
>

> Creative Commons is about letting your children leave home and find a
>
> life of their own - they are still your children but you accept that they have
> gone feral. If you cannot handle that then don't release in the public domain.

Actually one of the main ideas of many (most?) Creative Commons variants is that
while allowing various uses of the material copyright is claimed, and credit and
acknowledgement is required.

Creative Commons is usually very different from public domain.

This especially applies if the reason behind releasing something for
non-commercial use under a CC license is to promote yourself, and your work ...
hoping to get some paid work as a result, or hoping someone may wish to pay to
use the work released as non-commercial in a commercial context.

So a means of helping ensure that the work remains identified as yours may be
quite sensible.

Simon