Re: [LAU] OT: What battery powered Amps are you using?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sun Oct 30 2011 - 22:16:21 EET

On Sun, 2011-10-30 at 12:00 +0000,
linux-audio-user-request@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 11:34:10 -0500
> From: Stephen Stubbs <theother1510@email-addr-hidden>
> Subject: [LAU] OT: What battery powered Amps are you using?
> To: linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden
>
> 10/29/2011
>
> Hello All,
>
> What small, battery/electric powered, portable Amps are you using?
>
> I'm taking up the Autoharp (an acoustic instrument) that has a
> magnetic
> pickup with 1/4" jack output. I have a Zoom H2 recorder that I would
> use as a vocal microphone (has the 1/8" mini-stereo line output).
>
> I'm not interested in special guitar effects. A graphic equalizer is
> plus.
>
> The Vox Mini 3 looks promising. I could run the Autoharp 1/4" out
> through the Vox 1/4" input jack. The Zoom H2 line out into the Vox
> Aux
> In jack. Will this work?
>
> And do any of these Amps have a Line Out that I could run to my
> Yamaha
> MG10/2 mixer? That would be very nice for recording.
>
> Other suggestions?
>
> Thanks All,
> Stephen.

If you know how to solder build your own amp. I suspect that those
battery powered amps don't have any special characteristics comparable
to those of big amps. Resp. if there are low cost battery amps, I would
test the cheapest.

A review in German says that the amp should be ok, if you need amp
simulation.
http://www.musiker-board.de/reviews-e-git/403506-amp-vox-mini-3-a.html
I suspect that if you need all the features you can't build an amp
yourself for that price. Since you don't need it, why paying that much
money?

- Ralf