Re: [LAU] Good audio interface for GNU/Linux?

From: tizo <tizone@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 13 2011 - 01:44:52 EET

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 3:16 AM, Patrick Shirkey
<pshirkey@boosthardware.com> wrote:

>> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 2:02 AM, Al Thompson <althompson58@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I'd feel fairly comfortable with multiple in/outs with an LT1010.  I'd
>>> be more concerned with his apparent need to have multiple, independent
>>> chains of guitar/bass effects/modelling with some attempt at low
>>> latency.  I think the odds of having low enough latency for
>>> simultaneous
>>> drum processing is pretty slim.
>>>
>>> I think a better solution would be three PCs, each running their own
>>> instances of guitar effects programs, and running the outputs of those
>>> PCs through a multiple headphone amp such as a Rolls or similar.
>>>

>> Patrick, Al, thanks for your help.
>>
>> If we choose the headphone amp solution, we would still need an
>> instrument input for each laptop/PC (for bass and guitar). Would you
>> recommend using a PCI one for this or an USB one should be enough?.
>
> Recording with usb will not be as efficient or low latency as pci.
>

>> Which one?. Would it be possible to use the mic input of our cheap
>> sound cards from our laptops to connect those instruments?
>>

> You can record your instruments via you pc sound card mic in but you will
> need to amplify the source before it gets to the sound card or once it is
> in the machine.  Your results will sound much better with a preamp.
>
> You might find that it saves a lot of hassle to buy a mixing desk that has
> all the i/o you need and run that though a 10/10 or hammerfall.
>
> It depends on your budget really.

Thanks very much for your responses. They are all really important to
me because I do not know much about the topic.

As at the beginning all the configuration is only to practise, we
don't need a perfect sound. So we will try with our mic inputs, and a
headphone amp, and see what happens. If that isn't enough for us, we
will try with a more pro audio card.

I will post our advances here, just in case anyone is interested in
the solution.