Re: [LAU] qjackctl and ubuntu 11.10 unity

From: Ralf Madorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Wed Dec 28 2011 - 16:40:11 EET

On Wed, 2011-12-28 at 15:00 +0100, Ralf Madorf wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-12-28 at 12:00 +0000,
> linux-audio-user-request@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> > Message: 8
> > Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 15:05:03 +1100
> > From: Leigh Dyer <lsd@email-addr-hidden>
> > Subject: Re: [LAU] qjackctl and ubuntu 11.10 unity
> > To: linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden
> >
> > On 27/12/11 11:26 PM, Ralf Madorf wrote:
> > >
> > > Q regarding to Rui's apps is for Qt. Qt apps are fine with (KDE ;)
> > but
> > > even with) GNOME. No Linux audio user seriously will use GNOME3 or
> > > Unity. IMO Linux audio has become pro-audio, but nowadays the
> > > surroundings, such as a DE, become unusable for pro-audio.
> >
> > Unusable how? Perhaps I don't meet your definition of a pro-audio
> > Linux
> > user, but GNOME 3 works well for me and my music work. The overview
> > display makes it easy to jump between windows with the mouse, and
> > otherwise, it does a great job of keeping out of my way, giving me
> > maximum space for the various apps that I'm using.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Leigh
>
> I still will test GNOME3 too, but I already have additional work to do,
> to get rid of PA. I also don't like to be forced to use a proprietary
> Nvidia driver, but GNOME3 does, hence I'll have to offend licences to
> use the rt patch.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Ralf

PS: I was a GNOME2 user (my stable DAW still is based on GNOME2 ;). It's
not pro-audio, when I upgrade (I upgraded another Linux install) my
setup is completely broken regarding to the work flow. Furthermore, if
the DAW is set up for usage without PA, it's not funny when the upgrade
from GNOME2 to GNOME3 will install PA, as it happened for Debian. My
stable DAW is Edubuntu Maverick, with a lot of outdated apps + some
software from svn, that is more up to date than e.g. Jack2 is for any
distro I know. I switched from Debian to Arch, even for Arch there is
some default dominance anti pro-audio, to be fair, at least it's not
that much work to get rid of some issues, as it is for major distros
like Debian, Ubuntu, Suse.

The available audio software for Linux in the main is pro-audio (SMPTE
etc. are also issues for modern proprietary computer solutions), but the
environments become more anti-pro-audio with every upgrade (I dunno the
state of the art for proprietary solutions, if they should fail too,
it's no excuse for Linux to fail).