Re: [LAU] monitor specifications

From: S. Massy <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 06 2012 - 20:09:20 EET

On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 06:17:28PM +0100, Brendan Jones wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I've just moved to Germany and am still setting up my new studio.
> While its insanely quick and easy to buy gear here I was thinking of
> rolling my own studio monitors (with the help of a very handy
> father-in-law)
>
> Has anyone here done this and is it possible to do this oneself?
> Some plans/specifications would go a long way (or should I not
> bother)
Well, I'm sure it's possible given the right amount of knowledge and
craftiness, and I'm sure pundits on this list will point you the right
way. I just wanted to say that monitors, unlike regular loudspeakers,
should be calibrated (to be flat) and that might be time-consuming and
require additional instruments (though, of course, you'd have gear
tailored specifically to your environment at the end). I guess my
concern would be to make sure it doesn't end up costing as much as
buying a ready-made commercial solution.

Let us know how you make out.

cheers,
S.M>