Re: [LAU] monitor specifications

From: thijs van severen <thijsvanseveren@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 06 2012 - 23:57:55 EET

2012/1/6 S. Massy <lists@email-addr-hidden>

> On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 06:17:28PM +0100, Brendan Jones wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I've just moved to Germany and am still setting up my new studio.
> > While its insanely quick and easy to buy gear here I was thinking of
> > rolling my own studio monitors (with the help of a very handy
> > father-in-law)
> >
> > Has anyone here done this and is it possible to do this oneself?
> > Some plans/specifications would go a long way (or should I not
> > bother)
> Well, I'm sure it's possible given the right amount of knowledge and
> craftiness, and I'm sure pundits on this list will point you the right
> way. I just wanted to say that monitors, unlike regular loudspeakers,
> should be calibrated (to be flat) and that might be time-consuming and
> require additional instruments (though, of course, you'd have gear
> tailored specifically to your environment at the end). I guess my
> concern would be to make sure it doesn't end up costing as much as
> buying a ready-made commercial solution.

Keep in mind that it's not 'just' the making a 'box'. There are a lot of
parameters that are important to get it right.
Assuming you are making powered monitors (since these are the most common
type of studio monitors these days) and these are normally bi-amped you
will need to match amp>tweeters + amp>mid-speakers + build a crossover +
symmetrical>asymmetrical signal transformer ...

imho it will be near impossible to build speakers that match up with the
ones you can buy
it will take more than just 1 try to get it right, this will take time,
cost money and i think you need to decide what you want to do :
do you want to make music, or do you want to make a good monitor

if you want to make music : buy your monitors

but if you decide to build them yourself i'm absolutely very interested in
hearing about it ! blog about it maybe ?

good luck!
Thijs

follow me on my Audio & Linux blog <http://audio-and-linux.blogspot.com/> !