Re: [LAU] monitor specifications

From: Al Thompson <althompson58@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 07 2012 - 08:03:22 EET

On 01/06/2012 12:17 PM, Brendan Jones wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I've just moved to Germany and am still setting up my new studio.
> While its insanely quick and easy to buy gear here I was thinking of
> rolling my own studio monitors (with the help of a very handy
> father-in-law)
>
> Has anyone here done this and is it possible to do this oneself? Some
> plans/specifications would go a long way (or should I not bother)
>
> What I'm looking at is something similar to the yamaha HSM80's or the
> Adam A7's

It's "possible." I wouldn't really recommend it though. The purpose of
studio monitors is to act as a reference, so you know that you are
getting an accurate picture of what things really sound like. You will
tend to compensate for any coloration or inaccuracies in the monitors in
your sounds, and that will result in a mix that sounds strange on more
accurate speakers.

There are MANY aspects of a monitor that will affect the sound, and most
of them affect it in a bad way. The individual raw drivers, cabinet
shape and volume, driver alignment, vent area, duct length if you are
using ducted ports, the material you use to build the cabinet,
construction techniques, sharp edges, amount and type of batting you put
inside the cabinet, etc, etc, etc.

You can only compensate for rough frequency response with a 31 band EQ,
but the other aspects can't easily be changed or affected after the box
is built and installed.

--
---
  http://lateralforce.no-ip.org

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
   http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
                                                - [Friedrich Nietzsche]