Re: [LAU] Mic for accoustic (bass) guitar

From: Moshe Werner <moshwe@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 13 2012 - 13:39:36 EET

Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote :

> > Me too. An 1010LT has two mic inputs. So what's the point of using
> > the DI box ?

Oh sorry didn't see that...

> Right. This calls for double-check since I wired that a few years
> ago ;-) Turns out the mic goes directly in the 10101LT and the DI box
> is used for the acoustic bass guitar built-in pick-up output. The kind
> of pick-up with bass, treble, mid controls, powered with a 9v battery.
> Sorry for the misleading description I gave previously ;-)
>
> OK in that case I would check the sound *without* the DI plugged in.
On most recordings that I did with acoustic bass and/or double bass I
didn't use the pickup because the sound is not as full as that from the mic.
Also you have to play with the mic and source position because when
recording low frequency sources (i.e. bass) room modes have a great impact
on the sound.
You can have a great mic and place it in a dip where you don't get certain
frequencies. This is even more relevant when recording in a small room.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,
Moshe