Re: [LAU] Ubuntu Studio

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 19 2012 - 03:58:36 EET

On 03/18/2012 11:16 AM, Rick Green wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Mar 2012, Julien Claassen wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone!
>> I'm looking for a good audio distro for a GUI-minded friend. I
>> thought, that Ubuntu Studio was the one, but we didn't really find
>> something like a live-DVD for that. My question: If I'm right and it
>> really is Ubuntu Studio, that I'm looking for, could someone recommend
>> a good place to get a live-DVD.
>
> Ubuntu Studio has not published a live DVD in several years. However,
> the upcoming release, scheduled for late April, now in beta, has one.
> Daily build available here:
> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/dvd/current/
> The daily build is built for AMD_64 only, the final release, as well as
> the Beta1 (March 1st) will be available for several other architectures
> as well.
> I just booted yesterday's daily build on my laptop. jack started up
> readily, as well as Ardour. The Ardour release is 2.8.2, with a
> copyright date of 2009. Current release is 2.8.12 (sept 2011), so it
> looks like the debian & ubuntu packagers haven't kept up...
>
> AVLinux, which was mentioned by another, is only available for i386.

I use Aptosid, which is Debian Sid based and realy very stable (the
Aptosid team do a lot of checking of Sid packages and have their own
scripts that help filter out the Sid oddities. There's an RT kernel in
Sid now, requires the PAE extensions so I haven't tried it out (my music
systems don't support PAE).

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden