Re: [LAU] xjadeo 0.6.4 -- was Tube Open Movie Project

From: Brett McCoy <idragosani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 16 2012 - 17:13:09 EEST

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Moshe Werner <moshwe@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> I'm working on a 10 minutes short film now, and that's my exact workflow.
> Improvise, refine, orchestrate, mix.
> I'm using rosegarden + xjadeo + Ardour.

I admit to be being pretty old school... watch and analyze the video
clip, work out timings, create a spreadsheet for the cues, and then
set the timing marks into the DAW and start composing against the
timings. It works well if you need 'hits' against certain actions
onscreen (especially for animation, which is mostly what I do), but
can be mechanical if you are too strict with the timings or have too
many hits.

John Williams is even older school... he sits at a piano with pencil
and paper and composes just using the timing sheet.

And then there was Carl Stalling, who wouldn't even wait for the final
edits of the cartoons he wrote for. He'd just compose against the
x-sheets the animators used, the timings worked out by the director
were so precise and detailed.

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com