Re: [LAU] JACK, qtractor and TAL Noisemaker on Pandaboard success story

From: Dan MacDonald <allcoms@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 21 2012 - 14:46:22 EEST

Hi Michael!

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 3:21 AM, michael noble <looplog@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 5:19 AM, Dan MacDonald <allcoms@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>

>> I think secureboot is strictly a Wintel thing - I have heard no such talk
>> of it making its restrictive, nefarious ways known in ARM land yet and lets
>> hope it stays that way! Note that the ARM devices have their own set of
>> bootloaders - no grub here.
>>

> I hate to be the bearer of bad news, or to derail your thread, but it is
> actually ARM that will be the most crippled. MS is requiring ARM devices
> certified to run Windows 8 to be completely locked down, where as Intel
> devices will be able to have UEFI disabled. This is really only the tablet
> market, though.
>
> See here:
> http://www.softwarefreedom.org/blog/2012/jan/12/microsoft-confirms-UEFI-fears-locks-down-ARM/

Yes, its my fault for mistakenly saying secure boot only effects wintel
when in fact it also effects SOME ARM hardware intended THAT IS INTENDED TO
RUN WINDOWS 8. My Pandaboard predates windows 8 and its successor (likely
called eagleboard - OMAP5 based with SATA) will also be a Linux dev board
with no intention of running crappy MS OSs hence it will likely have no
trace of UEFI onboard again either.

Not all ARM hardware is created equal nor intended to run MS pathetic,
crippled embedded OSs.