Re: [LAU] [LAD] Linux Audio 2012: Is Linux Audio moving forward?

From: Thomas Vecchione <seablaede@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 11 2012 - 04:57:59 EEST

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 9:01 PM, Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden
> wrote:

> > What about soundtracks for BF's open movies? How did it happen that
> > neither Jan Morgenstern nor Joram Letwory are using Linux?
> >

> The Blender guys have their own motives. Ton obviously gets on with his
> sound guys and that makes his work more enjoyable. Also they are literally
> just down the road from each other.

Most of those are reasons why Ton went with those people yes. Ton doesn't
specify open source audio tools for the BF movies last I checked, because
the point of those movies wasn't to support open source in general, but
rather to specifically support Blender's development and improve it's own
potential in the marketplace.

Alexandre if you really want an answer to your question, catch me on IRC.
I don't wish to speak for Jan on this, but I can tell you I have had
exactly this conversation with him, and completely agree with his answers.

> It's certainly a very powerful open source tool but it is not the
> only way to produce video with linux. I don't know why more people aren't
> using xjadeo, kdenlive or LiVES. Lots of people seem to be productive with
> avsynth too.

Because frankly none of those tools are very capable. I have said it
before, but they don't hold a candle to working even in FCPX(With the
exception of xjadeo which has nothing to do with the other tools and
doens't belong there).

I am waiting to see what Lightworks does in the Linux space if it ever
releases on that front, but that has more to do with Linux Video than Linux
Audio.

        Seablade