Re: [LAU] [LAD] Linux Audio 2012: Is Linux Audio moving forward?

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 11 2012 - 06:14:27 EEST

On Thu, October 11, 2012 1:44 pm, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 10:37 PM, Patrick Shirkey <
> pshirkey@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>

>> Writing off the Linux Audio platform because some companies are making
>>

> FFS! way to ignore the point. I wasn't writing off ANY part of the Linux
> Audio platform.
>
> You wrote: "What makes the Audio industry so special that it can ignore
> the
> direction that other industries are moving?"
>
> I was pointing out that there is no unitary direction that other
> industries
> are moving in. Challenging "the audio industry" in this way makes no
> sense.
>
> This has nothing to do with writing off or criticizing any part of the
> linux audio world.

I wasn't meaning you. No one questions your commitment to Linux Audio.

Simply that companies who expect to make their income from tablets and
mobile but write off Linux are being short sighted. I could have been more
specific on that point.

Given the very real increase in adoption of Linux across the globe and the
inevitability of Linux and x86 on the mobile form factor it makes more
sense for audio companies to be early adopters. We know for a fact that
the early adopters in the mobile world are going to have a better chance
of earning the dollars than the ones who are late to the party.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd