Re: [LAU] Pro Audio? OT rant.

From: Al Thompson <althompson58@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 26 2012 - 07:50:47 EET

On 12/25/2012 08:41 AM, Florian Paul Schmidt wrote:
> mastering) will introduce many more audible artefacts than the
> 44.1khz/16bit downsampling export for a CD. Vinyl is an audibly
> inferior medium to a good digital chain. So much worse that you need
> highly trained professionals to work around the limitations to create
> a bearable product. Some people might still prefer the sound. But that
> has nothing to do with vinyl being the measurably better medium.

I think the general preference for vinyl comes from a preference of
analog vs. digital, rather than liking actual vinyl. Some people prefer
analog so strongly over digital that this preference even holds up in
spite of the limitations of vinyl pressings.

If the end result sounded anything like the 1/2 track 30ips master, we
wouldn't even have this discussion.

--
---
My bands, CD projects, music, news, and pictures:

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
   http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
                                                - [Friedrich Nietzsche]