Re: [LAU] Pro Audio? OT rant.

From: Florian Paul Schmidt <mista.tapas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 25 2012 - 15:41:54 EET

On 12/25/2012 02:24 PM, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> On 12/24/2012 10:45 AM, Florian Paul Schmidt wrote:
>> Now do it the other way around: Take some digital masters of albums and
>> cut vinyl records from then. Now do a double blind test. My hypothesis
>> is that you will be able to discriminate the vinyl from the digital
>> playback for the simple reason that the vinyl cutting and playback chain
>> introduces loads of imperfections that will be clearly audible.
>
> Doesn't this result in vinyl that can barely be played (unless the
> digital master was done for vinyl specifically)? I thought masters for
> vinyl and digital media were slightly different.

Yes, that was my impression, too.. For a good vinyl cut you have to have
a different mastering to work around the limitations of the medium..

Actually I worded that second point rather badly. The point was that the
vinyl cutting process (including special/professional mastering) will
introduce many more audible artefacts than the 44.1khz/16bit
downsampling export for a CD. Vinyl is an audibly inferior medium to a
good digital chain. So much worse that you need highly trained
professionals to work around the limitations to create a bearable
product. Some people might still prefer the sound. But that has nothing
to do with vinyl being the measurably better medium.

Flo

P.S.: I still like my vinyl collection of records. The haptics. The
nostalgia. The big pictures on the covers.. The handling of a pair of
Technics MK1210 and a good mixer is still awesome for mixes, etc..

--
Florian Paul Schmidt
http://fps.io