[LAU] ffmpeg or libav

From: Rustom Mody <rustompmody@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 12 2013 - 06:49:59 EET

Ive seen some postings here recently recommending ffmpeg, so I thought I'd
ask this (somewhat political) question:
All that I know is that as an ordinary mostly-ignoramus user, Ive used
ffmpeg on and off and then one day my debian updates told me ffmpeg is
obsolete use libav.
Did that and have found that some things that used to work with ffmpeg
stopped with libav (dont exactly remember the details).
Currently it appears that for using ffmpeg one needs to compile from source.

Since people are recommending use of ffmpeg am I to understand that the
headache is worth it?

http://blog.pkh.me/p/13-the-ffmpeg-libav-situation.html seems to say that
ffmpeg is integrating libav patches and not vice versa

[Sorry for asking a political question]

Rusi

--
http://www.the-magus.in