Re: [LAU] ffmpeg or libav

From: Lou Logan <lou@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 27 2013 - 01:46:46 EET

On Sun Jan 13 15:55:29 UTC 2013, Robin Gareus wrote:

> Yet, there are also minor technicalities. ffmpeg is more /cutting edge/
> and -for example- does not concern itself much with security issues.

Security issues are taken seriously at FFmpeg. There is a dedicated
address to report vulnerabilities and resolved issues are often
backported to the releases.

> However, from my personal experience: So far I have only met one person
> of the ffmpeg team and was not able to talk to him. The libav devs are
> very lively, visit conferences, listen to their user-base and the
> community is fun to interact with. While I do not approve of their
> methods of the fork, I'm warming up to libav in general, but this is
> very subjective.

FFmpeg devs are too busy coding. Seriously though I'd like to see some
increased attendance at various conferences (and I'd like to attend at
least one). But there are always bugs to fix, features to implement,
etc... User questions and such are welcome at the ffmpeg-user mailing
list and #ffmpeg IRC channel.

Feature requests can be filed at the FFmpeg Bug Tracker [1]. I've seen
some implemented within a day or two, but it depends on complexity and
developer or contributor interest.

A somewhat recent development to increase community involvement is the
Community Contributed Documentation section of the FFmpeg wiki [1]. It
is an effort to supplement the official documentation in a more
explanatory, step-by-step, and user friendly manner. It has become more
popular than I expected, and contributions are always welcome!

[1] https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/

Lou