Re: [LAU] recording again over a normal track on Ardour

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 11 2013 - 23:47:59 EET

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 4:36 PM, Federico Bruni <fedelogy@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I've just recorded two tracks on Ardour and I have recorded again two
> parts of a (normal) track. I've not created a new track, I recorded it over
> the first recording.
> I don't know what's the best way to do this...
>
> Anyway, it worked fine except for few seconds at the beginning, where I
> can hear both recordings together. The area is highlighted in yellow and
> has two lines crossing.
> How can I remove the old recording and keep only the last one?
> And why it happened?

in preferences, switch to short crossfades (you are currently using "full
overlap crossfades")

ardour has crossfaded between the old and new regions. this is quite useful
behaviour when editing, but not the desired behaviour when overdubbing
(recording over existing material). you still want a crossfade to prevent
an abrupt transition between the old and the new, but it should be short
(notably less than 1 second in this case). short crossfades will do that
for you.

note that ardour3 and mixbus both do this by default.