Re: [LAU] LAC 2013, why not more students?

From: Thomas Vecchione <seablaede@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 13 2013 - 08:35:29 EET

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 9:56 PM, Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hiddenwrote:

> the formal program(mes) are the least effective part of LAC, IMO. what
> made attending them worthwhile was the chance encounters in hallways, in
> restaurants, in bars. these sorts of exchanges don't map well to video
> conferencing.
>
> in fact, i'd probably go as far as to say that video conferencing is
> massively impeded when it is *not* preceded by in-person encounters by the
> parties involved. this is true even of IRC to some extent, and the changes
> i've had to meet various LA people (including you) have been enormous in
> constructing my sense of an ability to communicate with them all.

I won't disagree with this necessarily, but would you agree or disagree
that attending it in some fashion is better than not attending at all?

Some of this of course can be mitigated by the second point I brought up
about 'satellite' conference I think by the way, I run a downlink site for
one such occurance that is a conference held worldwide. We have about
200-300 people attend out of our area out of the hundreds of thousands that
attend it worldwide, and for those people that attend at our campus, they
may well tell you the same thing about the experience at our campus, even
though they weren't at the 'broadcast' location.

    Seablade