Re: [LAU] light weight, full featured desktop for audio

From: Joe Hartley <jh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 22 2013 - 02:37:15 EET

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 00:47:09 +0100
William Light <wrl@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> > So you have to recompile every time you want to tweak settings?
>
> yep! it's kind of a hilarious piece of software, honestly.

C as the config language? I think we just reached Nerdvana! If I weren't
so happy with Fluxbox, I'd be tempted to try this out. I just don't have
the time for that sort of a geexpedition now, though.

I like fluxbox because it lets me recreate the old Sun OLVWM environment
I used for years, with a few modifications, and enough recognition of the
rest of the Linux world to get along with any type of application I've tried,
Gnome, KDE, Motif - it'll do the right thing.

> i wasn't really expecting a backlash, maybe just a chuckle or two.

You definitely got one here!

> for the record, i use renoise in dwm (in a floating workspace) and it's
> fine. dwm isn't all tiling all the time if you don't want it to be.

I'm coming in late to this, but at one point it looked like "tiling" got
conflated to virtual desktops, at least as I plowed through my email.
Ralf seemed to be against VDs (hey! In another context, so am I!), but I
think he's a purist looking to keep things as lean as possible. I like that,
and think that saving resources is overlooked in these days of gigs of RAM
and multiple cores running in the GHz range.

<csb>
When I was a college freshman back in the stone knives and bearskin days,
I had an assignment to write a program in Pascal on a DEC TOPS-20 to perform
a simple task, and it had to compile to be >= n bytes in size. It wasn't
hard to get it to n-2 bytes, but those last two were tough. The trick was
that we had to use one type of loop rather than the obvious(*) which saved
the two bytes in the compiler.
</csb>

I don't think programmers have worried about that type of optimization in
years, except perhaps embedded system folks, and even there I don't know if
two bytes would matter to a soul.

My favorite optimization story ever is the story of Mel Kaye.
http://catb.org/jargon/html/story-of-mel.html

(*) using an until rather than a while, or some such - the details are lost
to time, at least until the Doctor comes round.