Re: [LAU] light weight, full featured desktop for audio

From: M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 22 2013 - 03:06:16 EET

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 5:35 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 13:59:02 +0100, William Light <wrl@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> on Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 08:45:43AM +0100, Raffaele Morelli wrote:

>>> About minimal/light DE, I would suggest the use of awesome
>>> http://awesome.naquadah.org/wiki/Main_Page
>>

>> Or, if it fits your workflow, there's not much lighter than dwm.
>> http://dwm.suckless.org/
>

> Perhaps there are, maybe there aren't, but tiled WMs anyway are useless for
> a serious audio production GUI workflow, you even don't need a WM, simply
> use X only, if you like to break a sane workflow.
>
> At the moment I build a minimal install, that seriously can be used for a
> common audio workflow and for this install I keep Xfce4.
>
> There's a difference between a minimal install that makes sense and a geek
> contest, to get something that is lightweight, but useless for serious GUI
> audio work.
>
> You at least want something as LXDE or Fluxbox. Frame based WMs might fit to
> the very special needs of a minority, but can't be a serious recommendation.

I've been productive on OpenBox with fbpanel, though it wasn't with
audio. It's pretty much indistinguishable from more complex desktops -
it has a start button/menu, task bar, "desktops"/"workspaces", a clock
and a Network Manager icon.

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism Publishers Workbench
http://j.mp/CompJournBench/