Re: [LAU] Muse2 2.1.1 for Arch

From: Oon-Ee Ng <ngoonee.talk@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 11 2013 - 03:26:29 EET

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 8:11 AM, Ross Hamblin <rosscoad@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On 11/03/13 09:38, jonetsu@email-addr-hidden wrote:
>> Le 10-03-2013 16:25, Ralf Mardorf a écrit :
>>
>>> Does anybody know how to fix a PKGBUILD or what ever needs a fix, to
>>> build muse2 2.1.1?
>>> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/muse2/ see comment by Ralf_Mardorf
>>> 2013-03-10 20:16.
>>
>> Hello, how's Arch for audio apps ? Are most of the apps installable
>> from their Arch repo ? Do they have a good choice ?
>>
> In my experience Arch is excellent for audio work, many audio apps are
> available via packaging and others can be installed via AUR. As long as
> you are comfortable setting up your own system (with the help of
> Archlinux's excellent wiki where necessary) Arch works fine. The rolling
> release means access to up to date versions of most audio apps. I find
> Arch works as well, if not better, with systemd, and I have found the
> mail lists are very helpful when required as long as you do your do your
> homework before posting. Ralf forgot to mention that the mail lists were
> moderated reluctantly because the SNR had got so bad.

He also forgot to mention the specific topic which prompted mailing
list moderation - systemd arguments =). Arch is fine for audio (my
usage, admittedly amateur), but only for a certain type of user (those
who are prepared to invest time in understanding their system and
setting things up manually). It is not OOTB-suitable for most, and
hence won't appeal to the techie-musician who's much more musician
than techie (then again, what Linux distro does, currently?)