Re: [LAU] samples/instruments/romplers etc..

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Tue May 14 2013 - 12:11:37 EEST

On Tue, 2013-05-14 at 09:44 +0100, gordonjcp@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 01:05:48AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Mon, 2013-05-13 at 17:42 -0500, Brent Busby wrote:
> > > If it's from the 80's, the filters will likely even be real analog.
> >
> > And if one of those CEM chips gets broken you're lost. Even special
> > chips from the 90s might not be available anymore.
> >

> Just replace it with a modern equivalent. There is a guy in Germany
> making replacement Juno filter modules. You could adapt those to fit
> any synth.

A quick googling does lead to replacements for Juno 106 filters only,
but we not only need filters and even not all filters seem to be
available as replacements. More often I found people saying what I has
written: Keep borked vintage synth to have spare parts or at least sell
the chips, but don't through away old synth.

In the past Dirk often borrowed me one of his Juno 106, since I never
owned one, but it's one of the synth I like very much. He bought those
Junos second hand, one for less money, than somebody from this list
payed for just one borked Juno's CEM chips. I don't know, perhaps it was
you who has written how expensive a single chip was some years ago?

However, it's a risk to buy vintage synth, especially for people who
don't like hoarding. If you aren't rich, maintaining vintage synth is
hard to do and even rich people run into issues, Dirk never was able to
repair his Fairlight, resp. we aren't friends anymore, perhaps he could
repair it within the last years.

A friend did buy survival kits for his Sequencials and for Sequencials
he repaired for others, they were very expensive and came without a
warranty, that those second hand spare parts are all ok, AFAIK
fortunately all used chips were ok, but he can't be sure that the once
he perhaps needs in the future, will be ok too.