[LAU] Questions about LV2

From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 14 2013 - 12:34:37 EEST

Hello everyone!
   I've got one or two questions about LV2 plugins in general.
   I've been experimenting with a couple of sound generating plugins, using
mod-host, i.e. not using the plugins' own UIs. Now I noticed, that a couple of
plugins did not show all their necessary controls in LV2 ports.
   Examples are the ZynAddSubFX LV2 plugin
http://home.gna.org/zyn/zynadd/1
   or the simple sampler by Rui:
http://samplv1.sourceforge.net/lv2
   In Zyn there were no LV2-control to control the engine. the sampler offered
a fair deal of controls, but didn't allow me to sample or load a sample. I
could connect an instrument to the input ports and apply the effects (chorus,
flanger, phaser and delay) to it.
   So: is there - in theory - an LV2-port type, that allows sending strings -
i.e. filenames. Is there another standardised way for plugins and their UIs to
communicate? If not, are there thoughts about such things in the LV2
developing community for just such cases, where one can't or doesn't want to
use the original UIs of a plugin?
   Warm regards
          Julien