Re: [LAU] Art's suitability for anything

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 17 2013 - 22:24:26 EEST

On Sat, 17 Aug 2013, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> I was born in 1966, IOW I'm from the so called "generation x" and btw.
> I'm a rock/pop musician. "Grunge" is a name invented by music
> reviewers, they needed to pigeonholed something they completely didn't
> understand. There is a mainstream calling itself grunge, but don't
> call the "subculture" "grunge", some consider this as insult. Don't
> worry, I don't care about it.

Oh I know. New wave (and its derivitives) were the same way -- the
artists mostly hated the term, and some say it was an invention of Sire
Records. It's still what everybody ended up calling it though. Grunge
was probably more an invention of Viacom (who were directing MTV by that
time instead of Time/Warner before them) rather than any kind of a real
movement in Seattle, but it still ended up being something big with a
look and a sound to it, and people in the population who had adopted it,
even if its start was a bit contrived.

On the other hand, if there's a popular social movement somewhere behind
2000's pop music, I've missed it.

+ Sr. UNIX Systems Admin +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ James Franck Institute +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ Materials Research Ctr +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky