Re: [LAU] [ANN] midifilter.lv2 v0.1.3

From: michael noble <looplog@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 23 2013 - 13:17:36 EEST

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 5:59 PM, Bill Gribble <grib@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, 2013-10-23 at 12:09 +0400, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> > In my jackass opinion, Ardour needs Ingen bundled, or maybe a similar
> > built-in feature. (And some people would still want to see PD-like
> > system inside it, much like Max4Live).
>
> That last was a big goal of mine when I started work on MFP [1].
> Something like PD, but less multimedia, more quantitative, and can be
> inserted as a plugin anywhere that loads plugins. Sort of a swiss-army
> knife for audio engineers/musicians/mad scientists who need to put
> together a custom bit of signal generation, processing, analysis,
> midi/osc mangling, etc.
>
> Unfortunately :) I got a job about 6 months ago and work on MFP has been
> at a near-standstill since my LAC presentation. But I have found some
> time lately to work on a first pass at running MFP as a LV2 plugin,
> which is a key missing piece of technology to enable the "max4live" type
> workflow. I'm hopeful I can have a3 loading an editable, 2x2 patch
> (with a fixed set of LV2 controls, the patch editor being
> out-of-process) in the next couple of weeks.

There is a proof of concept LV2 plugin floating around that is based on
libpd that can run PD patches. There is also Radium, which now has a fork
of libpd built in and has PD patching integrated into the workflow of the
sequencer. CLAM also has had export to LV2 features for a while, though I
don't know what state it is given the changes to the LV2 stack since the
initial feature was added. I'd like to see Dave's work with Ingen running
as an LV2 be released, but since Ingen itself has yet to see a release that
might be a while off.

All up, I think we are spoiled for choices if we are prepared to live with
the problems of being early adopters. Personally I'd like to see more work
on bringing just one of these tools to maturity, rather than a further
proliferation of itch-scratchers that never quite get the job done. Not
that my opinion matters for much - ultimately the work has to be done by
people more competent at programming than myself.